Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Lennox Head

On Friday (by which, I mean Friday 11th December, what with me having fallen behind
with this "blogging" business) , we travelled to the lovely seaside town of Lennox Head. Our decision to stay in Lennox, rather than nearby Byron Bay, was partly driven by the fact that our Lonely Planet guide described Lenox as being less tacky and touristy than Byron. Mostly, it was due to our inability to find vacancies in any of the Byron Bay hostels that we tried.

Our journey from Bellingen was relatively easy by our standards, given that this one "only" took six hours, including time spent having lunch in Yamba (which I "blogged" about "here")

Our arrival was slightly complicated by the fact that I appeared to have caught an ear infection in Manly. This was confirmed when I visited the local doctor's surgery and antibiotic ear drops prescribed. Sadly, I can't get my ear wet for a few days now, which might put a dampener on various water-based fun. Once that small matter had been dealt with, we had a chance to acclimatise to our surroundings. Our accommodation was the local YHA. Very nice it was too. Our double room actually had a fridge in it, which impressed us no end. The hostel itself was a mere stone's throw from the beach. By "stone's throw", I mean "down the street to the end and then across another street and then up a grassy bank" but it was still pretty close. The beach was great too:


We had lots of fun on the Saturday, playing in the sea, me trying to make sure that my ear didn't get wet and Hannah trying to ensure that she didn't get out of her depth.

Here is a picture of me enjoying the sea, confident that nothing bad is going to happen:


...and here is a picture of me, my ear still barely dry:


We also went to Lake Ainsworth, which was a similar "stone's throw" away. This is a lake, separated from the sea by a bar of sand. The waters of the lake are brown with tannin from the surrounding trees which, we were told, is great for the skin. To be honest, though, it was just a bit creepy.

All in all, Lennox Head is a great place to visit with a great beach. Highly recommended.

No comments: